Snacking helps curb cravings and keeps you energized in the middle of the day. Snacking is also profitable when you are busy and don’t have time to cook a nutritious meal. When we say snacking we don’t mean a bag of chips or sugar-filled candies.
True, most of the snack available near us are either filled with sugar or fried. To help you choose healthy snacks we have compiled a list of protein-rich snacks that helps you snack healthy.
WHY PROTEIN- RICH SNACK?
Protein is essential macronutrient our body needs. Even if you are not an athlete or into sport you need protein for muscle growth and maintenance. We emphasize on protein-rich snacks for they are ideal for curbing cravings. Proteins in breakfast or in a snack will promote satiety and keep you feeling fuller for longer time. Proteins require greater energy for digestion and metabolism. This works in our favor by aiding weight loss and accelerating fat burning.
PROTEIN-RICH SNACK IDEAS
It has been reported that most people are deficient in proteins and their daily diets fail to meet the increased protein requirements. Adding these simple and quick protein snacks can help us bridge this gap.
- Trail mixes – Trail mix is a combination of dried fruit and nuts combined with grains. They provide a good protein boost. Nuts commonly used are almonds, walnuts, pistachio, and coconut. Dried fruits are a little high calorie so a reasonable portion size is good to keep you going.
- Cottage cheese– Packed with protein, cottage cheese is amazing dairy snack to indulge in. It also contains bone-health boosting calcium which is an added advantage making this snack worth grabbing.
- Cheese – Another dairy snack that is worth adding to your protein snack list is cheese. If you’re trying to lose weight, choose one that says “part-skim” on the label. Go for Easy to carry packs which don’t get squeezed in your pocket, bag or purse.
- Roasted chickpea– This amazing bean provides 5-7gm of protein and healthy amount of fiber in just one serving. They are low in calorie providing only 110-120kcals per serve. Other dietary pulses like lentils, pea etc can also be taken.
- Greek yoghurt – is better a protein snack compared to regular yoghurt. Greek yoghurt is strained, so it has a thicker consistency, contains more protein and half the sugar compared to traditional yogurts. With this dairy protein snack you get bone building calcium and gut-friendly pro-biotics.
- Protein Cookies– When discussing portable, protein snacks how can we forget the good old and the very best protein cookies. With a variety of ingredients these bars are haven for dieters. They are delicious, healthy and handy snacks to the rescue anywhere, anytime. A good healthy protein cookies can provide from 7-12 gm of protein. But be cautious while picking up an energy bar and always screen for its carb and added sugar content.
There are unhealthy snacks everywhere loaded with carbohydrates, fats and sugar. But there are always better and healthier options available if only one cares to choose them. Time crunch and busy schedules are not an excuse anymore if you decide to eat healthy and keep these above protein-rich snacks handy.