New products are making entry into the market almost every day and in this regard CBD products need mention for sure. It is quite interesting to note that various kinds of CBD products can be seen almost everywhere. Even the internet is flooded with information regarding CBD oil and other CBD products. This sudden surge in interest of CBD and related products is due to the legalization of industrial hemp along with recreational and medicinal cannabis at the state level. Before this, usage for cannabis and hemp was considered highly illegal. However, cannabis is still not legal everywhere and one has to be little careful in its usage. What is really interesting is that the cannabis industry that has gained momentum shows no signs of slowing down now. Sale of various kinds of CBD products have increased by a whopping 706% over the past year. Revenues are also expected to cross $5 billion this year.
Though demands of CBD oil and other CBD products are quite high and products are being available too, there is still a lot of confusion in the minds of people as what CBD is exactly and who can use it and many such things. This article is kind of a beginner’s guide to cannabidiol (CBD).
What is CBD at the first place?
Cannabidiol, the short form of which is CBD, is a chemical component which occurs naturally in the cannabis plant. It is interesting to note that there are almost 108 different kinds of cannabinoids in cannabis plant and CBD is one among them. The CBD component is said to come with potential therapeutic and medicinal benefits. The getting ‘high’ factor, which is associated with cannabis is not due to CBD component. It is due to another component known as Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, which is commonly known as THC. This component abounds in psychoactive properties and makes one feel ‘high’.
Functioning of CBD in the human body
Before you start taking CBD, it is important to understand how the component functions in the body. Both CBD and THC are seen to interact with the endocannabinoid system in the human body. This is a regulatory system in the body, which is made up of cannabis-like molecules, which occur naturally in the body. The endocannabinoids work like neurotransmitters so that messages are sent and obtained from different parts of the body and homeostasis is maintained. There are two known receptors CB1 and CB2, with which cannabinoids like CBD and THC interact with the ECS system.
CB1 receptors are present in the brain and are concerned with memory, cognition, pain sensation and motor skills. These receptors are also connected to the peripheral nervous system, thyroid, uterus, liver etc. THC is seen to attach to these receptors and inhibits the release of neurotransmitters, thus altering normal functioning.
CBD on the other hand, helps the body in producing its own endocannabinoids for reduction in pain, anxiety and inflammation.
Different forms in which CBD is available
There are many formats in which CBD is available in the market. The delivery method that you choose should depend on your preferences and personal needs. Also, how quickly the product works on the body is also dependent to quite an extent on the delivery method. Mentioned below are some of the varieties in which CBD products are available:
- CBD oils and tinctures – These are mainly concentrated forms of CBD. A dropper is used for putting the oil under the tongue and it is absorbed directly in the bloodstream. You can find the best CBD oil products online as well as offline.
- CBD edibles–Edibles are mainly available in the form of chocolates and gummies. It might take almost 20 minutes to 4 hours to take effect.
- CBD topical– These are CBD-infused oils, lotions and creams, which can be used on hair, skin and nails directly. Localized pain can be treated with this delivery method and is used as hair care, skincare and massage oil.
- Pills and capsules–Pills and capsules are taken orally and look like normal capsules and pills only. Generally these pills and capsules contain CBD oil and CBD isolate.
- Vaping–E-cigarettes use vaporized liquid which contain CBD oil.
Health benefits of CBD
There are many health benefits, which are obtained from CBD. Some of the most prominent ones include:
- Helps in relieving pain and inflammation
- Helps in reducing depression and anxiety
- Helps in alleviating cancer-related symptoms
- Helps in reducing acne
- Offers neuro-protective properties
- Helps in ensuring better heart health
- Helps in preventing diabetes